Archives Management Services
If you feel overwhelmed by a collection of historical items that is in disarray, disorder, or just plain confusing, I can help.
I can tackle a job with an eye to making order out of even the most chaotic of collections. You will be surprised at how the process of organization will bring to light ideas, potential projects, and usually a few treasures.
- Collections Assessment.
- Evaluation of condition of photographs, paintings, artifacts, documents, books, media and other items.
- Creation of an inventory of items.
- Creation of an organization and preservation system.
- Recommendation for storage.
- Proposal of specific uses for items.
- Assistance with insurance appraisals.
Collections assessments will be conducted to evaluate the collection in terms of the extent and nature of items, current storage facilities, current state of the organization of the collection, the potential to digitize items, and issues concerning preservation, conservation and use of items.
Collections assessment proposals will includes steps for:
- Organization (storage, inventory, access)
- Preservation (evaluation in terms of steps needed to preserve items)
- Conservation (identify items in need of conservation)
- Ownership (determine intellectual ownership of materials and levels of access)
- Research (for publications, promotions, newsletters, websites)
- Fundraising & Promotion (how to turn collections into efforts to raise an organization’s profile, appeal to the interest of a wider audience, and assist in a variety of development efforts.)
- Presentation: How to turn your history into a useful past.
Do you want a snazzy or sophisticated custom-designed product?
I can use your historical collections, including photographs, drawings, documents, and other forms of history to create a variety of items.
I can also locate images and historical photographs to use for different projects.
I custom design a range of products from postcards to books.
- Pamphlets and Booklets
- Rack Cards
- Flyers & Posters
- Book Covers
- Research the history of an organization, community, event, or an individual.
- Research within a particular collection, as well as both primary and secondary research in libraries, archives, genealogical databases, et al.
- Research into collections of photographs and images, and I can also conduct research to locate images.
Through conducting a research project, I can deliver a variety of products, including:
- Histories of various lengths (essay, book, website, etc.)
- A searchable database of events that occurred throughout your organization’s history.
- Timelines for a release of historical materials or information through social networking platforms.
- A list of grant opportunities that will aid in the preservation, use, and promotion of your collection.
- Slideshows to mark specific events, to raise funds, or to promote your organization.
Image Research and Reproduction Services
- Researching and locating historic images for use in a variety of projects, from books and brochures to family albums and websites.
- Scanning items such as documents, photographs, and maps, at high or low resolution for use in print and on the web.
- Creating exhibits of images, documents, and artifacts for view internally or by the public.
- Designing power point presentations, online exhibits, slideshows and other methods for presenting your history to a broad range of audiences.
- Custom designing a range of products that are visually dazzling and intriguing, from flyers and postcards to rack cards and book covers.
- identifying items from a collection that can be digitized for broader, modern uses. Cassette tapes, films, and other forms of media can be transferred to digital format.
Book Publishing Services
Since 2006, I have worked to bring books into print, from publishing a memoir from the 1920s (found in an archive) to producing a new critical edition of a long out-of-print book. I do all the work to get the book ready for sale and then use a print on demand publisher. Not only is this cost efficient for any budget, but it also means that authors have complete control over the published book. Whether you are in need of an original book or want to publish an older book with new material, I can help bring any book into print from A to Z!
Types of Books:
- Original narrative
- History of an historic site or museum
- Organizational history
- New edition of an older, out-of-print book
- Family history
- Tour book or souvenir book
- Consultation to determine the scope of your project.
- Research the content to provide historical and meaningful context.
- Copyright searches.
- Layout and book design.
- ISBN and bar code assignments.
- Listing in all major book databases.
- Cover design.
- Image research and reproduction.
- Upload and management of print-on-demand service.
- Listing book online in major retailers (Amazon, Barnes and Noble).
Below are a few of the books I’ve brought into print. I worked on all aspects from research and layout to the complete design of each of these books, including cover design:
A Journal of the Great War by Charles Gates Dawes
A Classic Town: The Story of Evanston by Frances Willard
My Hut: A Memoir of a YMCA Volunteer in World War One by William Levere
For more information or to set up a phone or in-person consultation, please contact me: firstname.lastname@example.org